Our May Charity Winner is The North Texas Food Bank, chosen by Jose. The North Texas Food Bank is a nonprofit relief organization, providing access to more than 190,000 meals each day for hungry children, seniors and families through a network of more than 1,000 programs and 200 Partner Agencies in the 13-county Dallas area. Every dollar donated to NTFB provides three meals to hungry North Texans, and out of every dollar, 94 cents goes directly to hunger relief programs.
Here are some Facts about Hunger in our Area:
- More than 853,000 people in NTFB’s 13-county service area are food insecure – 1 in 6 people.
- Having a job doesn’t mean that you can’t be hungry. Stagnant wages and underemployment are contributing factors to low family incomes.
- There is a strong correlation between hunger and health, with one in three client households affected by diabetes – and 60 percent with unpaid medical bills.
- 80 percent of clients choose to purchase inexpensive and often unhealthy foods in order to have something to eat.
- 2/3 households that the North Texas Food Bank serves reports having to choose between food and paying medical care.
- One in every four kids in North Texas is food insecure – more than 300,000 children.
- Food insecure children are sick more often and are more likely to suffer developmental delays.
- 95 percent of households served by NTFB have an annual household income of $30,000 or less.
- In North Texas, 1 in 6 food-insecure households is home to a veteran.
Please check out the PDF Attachment for more information on the North Texas Food Bank and you can view more details at their website, https://www.ntfb.org/home