If you’re having issues with your plumbing, going the DIY route can be pretty tempting, but it’s not always the best choice. You may be a pretty handy person, but one mistake can cost you thousands of dollars and a licensed plumber can get everything right the first time. We realize that most people need and want to save money and would rather do as much on their own as possible, but this can end up backfiring and costing a lot more than hiring a professional.
If you’re still not fully convinced, here are the top five reasons for hiring a licensed plumber.
1. Experience – The most obvious reason to hire a professional plumber is their experience. Licensed plumbers have years of experience under their belt, so they’re going to be able to correctly identify your problem. This can save a lot of time, money and heartache and ensure that you’re taking care of the right issues.
2. Required Equipment – Let’s be honest buying and renting all the required parts and tools for plumbing repair can cost a fortune. A licensed plumbing professional will have all of the necessary tools to do the repair work and services. Which in the end could possibly cost less than if you purchase materials, rent the tools and make the repair yourself?
3. Efficiency – A clogged shower drain or a backed up toilet can be a real pain, especially if it hinders you from going about your daily routine. A professional plumber is going to get the job done much more quickly than you are likely able to do on your own. Plumbers are typically out to get the job done in the quickest time possible, so it’s a great option for time-sensitive projects.
4. Formal and Up-to-Date Training – Licensed plumbers typically have formal training. This is an absolute must, as trial and error are great, but knowing the ins and outs of the trade will ensure that any kinks will get worked out. Hiring a plumber with formal training ensures that there are no mishaps in the repair.
5. Local City Codes and Requirements – Many local governments enforce rules and regulations that require licensed professionals to perform work on homes in particular areas. By hiring a licensed plumber you can avoid any possible legal troubles that you might run into if you try to do the work yourself or if you hire someone who is not licensed.
As a family owned and operated business, Legacy Plumbing, Inc., brings over 20 years of experience to its customers in the North Texas community. Winning the Angie’s List Super Service award for four consecutive years, 2011 Frisco Small Business of the Year and 2011 Collin County’s Emerging Company, it is evident that Legacy Plumbing delivers outstanding services to meet all residential and commercial plumbing needs.
Superior repair and installation services include water leaks, drains, pipes, sinks, faucets, garbage disposals, showers/bathtubs, toilets, water heaters and sewer services.
Kaley A. of Fairview, TX asked:
Should I always call a plumber or can I do my plumbing work myself?
We know that it can be convenient to attempt to fix your plumbing trouble by yourself. It can even leave you with a feeling of accomplishment to tackle and solve problems around your home. Google and the plethora of video tutorials and DIY articles it offers with the click of a button can inspire even the least handy homeowners to attack their pipes.
However, many plumbing problems are more complicated than they seem.
While we routinely offer advice on this blog to commonly asked questions, we do not advocate tackling your plumbing problems by yourself (besides minor problems). Watching a ten-minute video or reading a step-by-step article cannot replace the years of experience that a plumber brings to the job.
When it comes to your water heater installation or gas line work, you need the experience of a professional plumber to make sure that everything is safe. Obviously, a gas line leak can be extremely dangerous. A plumber has the right experience and tools to properly solve sensitive gas line problems. Attempting to fix it yourself could be dangerous for not only you and your family but your surrounding neighbors too. Likewise, if you have a gas heater, you don’t want to risk damaging the gas lines. Incorrect installation could also result in you needing a costly fix done the road.
If you’re unsure about your ability to properly fix the problem, always call a plumber first. They may even be able to talk you through the steps if it’s a simple fix.
Your home is not only your castle, but also a substantial investment. It is important that your home receives the special care and maintenance it needs. Your plumbing system is very important to the comfort and hygiene of your family. Knowing when to call a professional plumber will ensure you’re not only taking care of your castle but your investment as well.
Problems or concerns with your sewer line or septic tank leaks.
Your septic tank is a delicate system and professional plumbers are best trained to handle it. It is also common to need to dig up ground to reach parts of these systems. Their extensive training and experience will help you to avoid a messy disaster. Your sewer lines or septic tank woes are best left in the hands of a professional plumber.
If you encounter a clog that you cannot remove on your own.
Everyone is aware of how annoying clogged drains can be. If you are unable to remove the clog on your owndo not use a caustic drain opener—call a professional licensed plumber. When a drain is fully blocked and caustic drain opener is used, the pipes are in danger of being damaged.
Problems or concerns with your gas line.
Gas lines are complex systems than can be very dangerous if not handled properly. It is crucial to the safety of your home and family that you call a licensed plumber if your project involves working with your gas line. A trained professional will able to safely resolve any problems you may have.
If you are unable to repair a leaky toilet or faucet.
Drips and running toilets can seem like small issues but don’t be fooled. These seemingly little problems can lead to gallons of water loss. Call a plumber to ensure you are leak-free. Putting off necessary repairs could mean your hard-earned money is going down the drain.
Any plumbing issues you encounter that requires a trained and licensed plumber.
From when your water heater tank is leaking to draining issues with your washing machine, call in a licensed plumber to get these tasks done properly before you encounter any property damage.