5 Simple Steps to Check Your Home For Water Leaks at Your Water Meter:
- Turn off all water use sources in the house. This means faucets, dishwasher, washing machine, etc. You want to make sure no water is being used.
- Buy a water meter key. This device is found at most home improvement stores. It is a long rod with a key at the top and the bottom is used to turn the water on and off to your home. This key opens the lid to your city water meter connection
- Find your water meter. Typically, a residential water meter is out near the curb at the front of your house. Look for a black or white steel lid located in the grassy area between your street sidewalk and your street.
- Use the key to open up the lid.
- Observe the meter. You will have one of two types of meters: a Pinwheel with silver and black stripes; or, a Triangle (this is the most common).